Bridge Projects

 

Christie Street Bridge

Client: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Location: Christie Street, Grimsby, ON

Christie Street Bridge is a 49m long, three span prestressed concrete box girder structure. The bridge carries Christie Street over CN railway tracks in Grimsby, ON. The original construction was completed in 1973.  The Region commissioned a rehabilitation of Christie Street Bridge, including replacement of the parapet walls, conversion of the expansion joints to semi-integral joints at both ends of the deck, and asphalt paving of the deck and approaches.  The rehabilitation work was completed by Rankin Construction in 2011.

Bridge No. 13 (Line 1 Road)

Client: Niagara-On-The-Lake

Location: Line 1 Road, Niagara-On-The-Lake, ON

Originally completed circa 1960, Bridge No. 13 carries Line 1 Road over Four Mile Creek in Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario.  The rehabilitation work included replacing the parapet walls, placing a concrete overlay, and patching, waterproofing, and paving the deck.  The rehabilitation project was completed by Rankin Construction in 2011.

Morningstar Mill Bridge

Client: City of St. Catharines

Location: Morningstar Mill, St. Catharines, ON

The replacement of Morningstar Mill Bridge was commissioned by the City of St. Catharines.  The bridge carries the entrance to the mill over a drainage channel.  The replacement structure was completed by Rankin Construction in 2011.  Several architectural features were included to enhance the bridge aesthetics, including formliner on the parapet walls and balusters; faux-arch formliner on the box culvert; and colourized formliner on the culvert and wingwalls.

Bridge Inspections - Structures

Biennial Bridge Inspections have been completed by ELLIS Engineering Inc. for various clients, including:

  • Canadian National Railway

  • City of Niagara Falls

  • City of St. Catharines

  • City of Thorold

  • City of Welland

  • Niagara Parks Commission

  • Regional Municipality of Niagara

  • St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation

  • Town of Fort Erie

  • Town of Lincoln

  • Town of Niagara-On-The-Lake

  • Town of Pelham

  • Township of Wainfleet

Photographs for pedestrian bridges and culverts are contained in the following two sections, see below.

Bridge Inspections - Pedestrian Bridges

Clients: Various, see above.

Biennial Bridge Inspections are completed by ELLIS Engineering Inc. for pedestrian bridges as well. 


Bridge Inspections - Culverts

Clients: Various, see above.

Biennial Culvert Inspections are completed by ELLIS Engineering Inc. for various clients throughout the province of Ontario.

McKenzie Bridge

Client: Town of Lincoln

Location: McKenzie, Lincoln, ON

McKenzie Bridge is a 12m long structure, carrying Mountain Road over Spring Creek in the Town of Lincoln, Ontario.  The rehabilitation work included new parapet walls and railings, concrete patch repairs, and repaving of the deck.  The work was completed in 2011 by Brennan Paving Ltd.

Central Avenue Bridge

Client: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Location: Central Avenue, Fort Erie, ON

Central Avenue Bridge is a five span bridge that crosses over CN Rail tracks and Lewis Street in the Town of Fort Erie.  It was completed circa 1954.  ELLIS Engineering Inc. was retained by the Niagara Region to complete a Rehabilitation/Replacement Analysis in 2006, an "Up-Close" Visual Inspection of the Truss Panel Points in 2009, and a Load Capacity Evaluation of the through truss in 2011.

Weightman Bridge

Client: City of Niagara Falls

Location: Portage Road, Niagara Falls, ON

Weightman Bridge, constructed in 1968, spans the Welland River, in the Village of Chippawa.  It is a three span bridge with an overall length of 98.1m.  The rehabilitation of Weightman Bridge was commissioned by the City of Niagara Falls.  The work, completed by Rankin Construction Inc. in May 2011, included a deck replacement, new parapet walls, coating of the structural steel, and replacement of the hollow core slabs in the central span.  The rehabilitated structure features a glass fibre reinforced concrete deck and parapet walls, architectural light poles, and an architectural stone pattern finish on the parapet walls.  The total contract value was $3.8 MIL.

Dean's Bridge

Client: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Location: Lyon's Creek Road, Niagara Falls, ON

Dean's Bridge, constructed in 1967, spans Lyon’s Creek, in the City of Niagara Falls.  The structure originally consisted of five spans.  The rehabilitation work included the elimination of the end spans, resulting in a 56.3m long, three span structure.  Completed in the fall of 2009, the rehabilitation work included a deck replacement, new parapet walls, repairs to the approach span piers, and filling-in the end spans.  The 4 month project was completed by Rankin Construction Inc. in the fall of 2009.  The contract value was $1.7 MIL.

15 Mile Creek Bridge

Client: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Location: North Service Road, St. Catharines, ON

The original 15 Mile Creek Bridge was constructed in 1961.  This structure required replacement and a new structure was commissioned by the Regional Municipality of Niagara.  ELLIS Engineering Inc. (EEI) designed the new 32m single span prestressed concrete box girder structure.  The $1.9 million dollar contract was awarded to Rankin Construction.  The new structure was opened to traffic in late 2010.

Sawmill & Maple Structures

Client: Town of Pelham

Location: Sawmill Road & Maple Street, Pelham, ON

The new crossings at Sawmill Road (main picture) & Maple Street (bottom left) were commissioned by the Town of Pelham.  ELLIS Engineering Inc. designed the new crossings, using precast concrete culverts to replace the old corroded structures.  The $600 000 contract was awarded to Brennan Paving Ltd.  The 4 month project was completed and the new structures opened to traffic in late 2009.

Merritt Street Bridge

Client: City of St. Catharines

Location: Merritt Street, St. Catharines, ON

Carrying Merritt Street over CN railway tracks in the historic downtown area of Merritton, the original Merritt Street Bridge was constructed in 1959.  This structure required replacement and a new structure was commissioned by the City of St. Catharines.  ELLIS Engineering Inc. designed the new prestressed concrete box girder structure, and the work was completed by Rankin Construction.  By staging the construction, the bridge remained open to traffic throughout the project.  The new structure was fully opened to traffic in the spring of 2008.  The new Merritt Street Bridge, dubbed the "Merritton Skyway", contains many architectural embellishments, adding character to the area.

Victoria Avenue Bridge

Client: Town of Lincoln

Location: Victoria Avenue, Lincoln, ON

Victoria Avenue Bridge was built circa 1906.  The original structure was replaced with a 7.5m arch, designed to resemble the original.  The architectural spheres and capstones, as well as the balusters in the railing were retained from the original structure and incorporated into the new structure.  The retained elements add to the overall beauty and historical appeal of the new bridge.  Another highlight is the use of patterned and colourised formliner.  The 4 month, $800 000 project was completed in the fall of 2010 by Rankin Construction.

Lyon's Creek Culvert

Client: City of Welland

Location: Lyon's Creek Road, Welland, ON

Lyon's Creek Road Culvert was replaced in 2008.  The existing culvert was removed and replaced with a precast concrete rigid fram box culvert.  The project, commissioned by the City of Welland, was completed in two months.  The work was performed by Norjohn Contracting & Paving Ltd.

Orchard Hill Bridge

Client: City of Thorold

Location: Orchard Hill Drive, Thorold, ON

Built circa 1920, the original structure crossing Twelve Mile Creek required replacement.  The new 6m concrete arch was designed by ELLIS Engineering Inc. to match the natural aesthetics of the area.  The new structure, commissioned by the City of Thorold incorporates an elaborate formliner pattern, mock stone parapet walls, and a custom railing.  The bridge was completed in 2005 by Rankin Construction, and is a true marriage of function and aesthetic.

O'Reilly's Bridge

Client: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Location: O'Reilly's Road, Town of Pelham & Township of Wainfleet, ON

Erected circa 1905, the old O'Reilly's structure was a single span pony truss crossing the Welland River.  The old structure was removed in a single lift in the spring of 2010.  The new 46m long, 2 span structure was commissioned by the Region.  ELLIS Engineering provided Construction Administration services for the replacement of O'Reilly's Bridge.  Brennan Paving Ltd.  substantially completed work on the $2.8 million dollar bridge in late 2010.  The new bridge consists of precast prestressed concrete box girders and a glass fibre reinforced overlay.

Quarrie Road Bridge

Client: Township of Wainfleet

Location: Quarrie Road, Wainfleet, ON

The new Quarrie Road Bridge, replacing the old 1926 structure, was commissioned by the Township of Wainfleet.  ELLIS Engineering designed the new crossing, which features a 7.6m precast concrete arch and reinforced earth retaining walls.  The contract was awarded to Rankin Construction, and the work was completed in June, 2008.

Drummond Road Bridge

Client: City of Niagara Falls

Location: Drummond Road, Niagara Falls, ON

Drummond Road Bridge is a three span, 83.6m long structure that carries Drummond Road over the Hydro Canal, in the City of Niagara Falls.  In 2003, the reinforced concrete deck was rehabilitated and a cathodic protection system installed.  The protection system, embedded into the concrete overlay helps protect the deck from future corrosion and can be monitored by the City via a remote monitoring unit.  The total cost for the rehabilitation work was approximately $1 million dollars.

Burgoyne Bridge

Client: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Location: St. Paul Street West, St. Catharines, ON

Burgoyne Bridge is a 368m multi-span bridge that crosses Highway 406 and Twelve Mile Creek.  The structure was built in 1915, and originally carried rail traffic in addition to vehicles and pedestrians.  ELLIS Engineering Inc. performed a Load Capacity Evaluation on the structure, including 3-Dimensional modeling of the structure.

Beckett's Bridge

Client: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Location: Vineland Townline Road, Pelham & Wainfleet, ON

The 1958 Beckett's Bridge was a 6 span, 88m structure.  The new structure, commissioned by the Region and designed by ELLIS Engineering, is 2 spans and 51m long.  Rankin Construction completed work on the $2.3 million dollar bridge in the summer of 2006.  The new bridge consists of precast prestressed concrete box girders and a glass fibre reinforced overlay.